Aug 7, 2011

Our newest addition...

Yay, the time has finally arrived and our little Kendric has come to join our family! I couldn't be more relieved and we are so blessed to have a healthy and happy baby boy.
On Saturday July 30, 2011 at seven in the morning I started having contractions. They were stronger than the ones I had the day before so I timed them with a cool app I found on my phone. They were five minutes apart and I did everything to make them go away. After getting out of the shower I knew it was time to call labor and delivery. I had my doctor's appointment earlier that week and was a good 3 1/2 cm dilated. The on-call nurse told me to come in to see if they'd admit me. Once I got to the hospital the contractions were stronger but not unbearable. The nurse checked me and said I was about 6 1/2 to 7 cm dilated. In my head I gladly cheered because that meant I wasn't going to get sent home and once I do go home it'd be with our little bundle of joy. Another nurse came in to draw some blood and she asked if I was going to go home. I gladly told her no and that I was just moving my stuff into another room and waiting for the midwife to show me the way. She asked how many cm I was dilated and told her I was almost a 7. She looked at me in shock and asked if I was in pain because I sure didn't look like I was. I told her I had some pain but it was manageable. The funny thing is I'm a whimp when it comes to paper cuts and hang nails but contractions? No problem. I'm a little weird in more ways than one! Once we got into the room I'd be delivering in, I laid on the bed and there were three nurses in the room. One was putting in my IV, the other setting up the monitor for baby and the other I have no idea what she was doing. But each one at different times would ask where my family was or where my husband was and if anyone was going to be there in time for the baby to come. I politely answered, letting them know my mother in-law was coming, my father in-law was in the waiting room and that my husband was in North Carolina for football. I could see the pity in their face and it took everything I had in me to hold back the tears. I didn't realize what a team effort labor is and how much of a support Isaiah is to me. That his presence is all I need when I'm not well or in pain. I'm glad we made the decision for me to stay back just because I had no worries as to who was going to be with Jack and Hola and it was one less thing off my mind. We knew it'd be a sacrifice for him not to be there when Kendric was born and for months I had prepared myself but I guess not enough! I decided to get the epidural even though the pain wasn't too bad. The lady who did my epidural was very pleasant. We talked about sports and the nurse told me it was her son's birthday. I enjoyed talking with them and they definitely put my mind at ease. As far as the epidural, I may as well have had no pain medication because I still felt the intense contractions and knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park like the delivery with Jack! After the epidural was done the nurses left me alone. Before they left, I thanked them and smiled. The nurse told me I had a beautiful smile and it felt like she really meant it. I love genuine people! I waited until they closed the door and I cried. I cried because I wanted my mom and my sisters. I cried because most of all I wanted my husband. I quickly got over myself and text my father in-law to let him know he could come in the room. I called Isaiah to update him and let him know all was well. The worst thing I could have done was to let him know of my breakdown. What good would that do? I'm continually grateful and truly blessed that Isaiah has the opportunity to play football and get free schooling out of it. What a shame and how selfish it would be of me to complain and make him feel bad for not being there. Of course he wanted to be there, he just couldn't be. We text each other the whole time. He cracked jokes and made me laugh. He was miles and miles away yet he still managed to lift me up and make me smile. I decided to take a nap and Papa was tired too so we talked for a little bit and then knocked out. I may or may not have fallen asleep while he was talking! After a while the midwife came in and checked me, I was dilated to a 9 and so she broke my water. My mother in-law had just arrived which was perfect timing. I held her hand as each contraction intensified. The blasted epidural didn't work for me. I felt it ALL. I squeezed tighter during the contractions and started to feel massive pressure. I kept telling the nurse that it wass time and that she needed to get the midwife in because I couldn't hold it. She told me not to push and so I tried my hardest to hold him in which was a major failure because Kendric literally just slipped out. The nurse rushed over to grab him and told me it was a good thing I didn't push. Even with the slightest push Kendric would have gone flying. The midwife came in and was surprised everything was done and over. I was a little irritated because the nurse didn't listen to me. Oh well. Kendric was out safe and sound. As soon as Kendric was born the lady that had done my epidural had stopped by to check on me. It was perfect timing on her part. She was so nice and wished me luck with our new baby and our journey to North Carolina. It was so sweet. See there are kind souls still around!
My mother in-law cut his umbilical chord and then they weighed him. I've never felt so relieved in my life, pregnancy was over. He was our biggest baby weighing in at 8 lbs 7 oz and 22 inches long. I'm so blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people. I'm thankful for my family and friends with their encouraging text messages. I'm thankful my in-laws were there at the hospital to support me. I'm thankful it was a Saturday so my Lovey was available to send me awesome text messages! I'm beyond blessed to have three healthy boys and an amazing husband. I immediately called Isaiah. He was thinking I was just calling for an update on the midwife breaking my water so he was shocked to hear me tell him our baby was here. Even over the phone I could hear the joy in his voice. These past few months have been quite a ride! It definitely has been nice to have Hola here because he is such a great helper and to just enjoy his company. He is such a proud older brother and loves his brothers so much. It'll be nice to be reunited with my Lovey and see what North Carolina has in store for us. I'm grateful the Lord has given me strength and comfort to get through these few months. I'm blessed beyond measure and can't wait until my love is able to meet his newest son and be able to hold our crazy boy Jack. Life is great and it is what you make of it. I hope we can all strive to look for the good in everything. Happy Sunday everyone. Here are some photos of our newest addition along with ALL my boys!


  1. My Young just made me cry! You are so strong. I recently was in the delivery room with my sister while she had her baby, natural. I saw the pain on her face and wanted so bad to just make it go away. You RoCk!!!! Glad you are both doing well and love the pics. Keep blogging when you are in NC, cause I love it :)

  2. Oh Kristy thank you for your kind words! It really means a lot to me. I commend your sister because I was all for the epidural but it let me down! :) I will keep blogging in NC and keep everyone updated on life in Cullowhee!!

  3. Congrats hun! You guys make the cutest kiddos. Way to make it look easy. Have fun cuddling those cuties and good luck in NC.

  4. Thank you Liz I can't wait to see your little one.

  5. Congratulations Talisha! He's so cute! I admire you for your strength. I don't think I could have done it without Manuel there. And what's up with epidurals not working?! Love you!

  6. Holy cow, you are amazing! I can't imagine doing it alone. What a shining example of strength you are to your beautiful boys! You are a rockstar. Best of luck back east.


You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...